Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My top TV series of 2011

Here are the top 10 TV series which marked 2011 for me (in no particular order):-

1. The Walking Dead



Yes, I’m a sucker for zombie movies – so when they decided to make a TV series of it, of course I’ll be sold to the idea. And it did not disappoint. Season 1 was really good – some might find that it did not have enuf gore and suspense – but this is not a movie. It’s a TV series and there is a lot of character building – we get to really know the people and feel what they feel.
Season 2 was a huge disappointment, tho. =(

2. Sherlock




Altho it only had 3 episodes, it was just simply brilliant. Maybe it’s because it had only 3 episodes? Again, no big surprise that this will be on the list (perhaps, it should sit at the top of it?) – been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes since young. They really did justice to the character. The modernization of it was handled pretty well too – Sherlock texting and all! And it’s based in modern London! Enuf said! =)

3. Masterchef



Which one? Well, all the ones that I could catch last year – including the previous year’s Masterchef Australia. This also includes Junior Masterchef and we ended the year watching Masterchef US – very very different but entertaining still!

4. Desperate Housewives



We watched seasons 6 and 7 last year. Season 6 was arguably the best I’ve seen. It’s really interesting to see how after so many seasons, it’s still as good – or even better! 24 season 8 was prolly one of the best – and we were wondering how can they make it “fresh” with Jack Bauer trying to save the world in 24 hours from terrorists – but they did. I digress…

Season 6 was pretty good – plenty of interesting characters and plenty of real issues faced by real people. It also had quite a lot of comedy elements to save it from being too “drama”.

5. Dexter



I guess 2011 had to be the year of Dexter too – to be honest, tho, it’s not really a favourite of mine. But there did not seem to be anything else interesting to watch. So I watched all the seasons! It wasn’t bad and it was interesting how the main character is a serial killer!!!

6. 30 Rock



I started watching 30 Rock cuz I was having trouble watching a normal TV series which lasted around 40 minutes of so. There were times when I just needed a short break – and 30 Rock fit the bill.

It started growing on me and I found some episodes to be really really good!!! Tina Fey and Alex Baldwin are really brilliant!

I was so sad when late last year I found that there were no new episodes when all the TV series resumed after summer. But to my pleasant surprise, it was supposed to resume only in January 2012 (and at the time of this post, it has resumed edi!!!).

7. How I met your mother



I must admit that it was getting a bit tiring but the producers did something to save the series – the focus shifted to Barney. From being the supporting character, he started playing a role that got bigger and meatier. We got to know more about him and understand him – and to me, he is the main reason why I’m still watching the series now. I dun really care who Ted ends up with and who is really his kids’ mother. I’m more interested to know about what happens to Barney!

But I’ve got a bad feeling about the new season – I hope they won’t re-start Barney’s and Robin’s romance again…

8. Big Bang Theory



Not unlike HIMYM, BBT became more interesting when Sheldon started to play a bigger role!

Being a science geek once, it is no wonder why I enjoy this series – and was glad when the wife also appreciated the kind of humour in this series.

9. House



Out of desperation when I had nothing else to watch (which the wife is not interested in – so I can actually watch at my own pace), I started watching House again. And it was pretty good. I guess there are so many strange diseases around so there’ll always be interesting stories – but more than that, the people in the stories are getting more interesting. Like the episode about the evil dictator – should they save him only for him to ruin more lives? I like stories which make me think long after it ends.

10. American Idol 10



I’ve stooped watching AI for a while but when there was nothing to watch and everyone was watching it, I just sat thru an episode – and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the participants. I was understandably pleased when the person I supported from the start finally went on to win it!

Looks like 2012 will just follow on from 2011 – new episodes of Desperate Housewives, House, HIMYM, BBT, The Walking Dead, Masterchef etc. Wonder if there will be any new series that will be interesting…

No comments: