1. I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
The Psalmist is sure that his help will come from God. And it is so encouraging to note that the God who is helping is the very God who created the heaven and earth. Surely there is nothing too difficult for him. If God is our help, there is nothing that I should fear.
2. He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
It is so reassuring that the God who is my help is a God who does not sleep. I may get tired and weary but God who is watching over me will not slumber and will be watching over me.
3. The Lord watches over you—the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will watch over me day and night - around the clock. There is nothing for me to fear.
4. The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life;
The Lord who watches over me does not just merely watch. He does not just care about my spiritual well-being. He will protect me from all kinds of harm and will protect my life.
5. The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
The Lord who is my help and who watches over me will do so not just all day and all night but all through my life.
Truly what a wonderful God we have.